Four years ago today, December 7th, I was on my way back home after serving 18 months as a missionary in Guatemala. I just mentioned this to Steve and he said, "Four years? That's it?" All the while I've been thinking, "Four years? Already?" Perspective is a funny thing.
Anyway, I've had a chance to reminisce lately about my mission and experiences there. I found myself longing for someone to let me just sit and tell them all about the people and the places and the adventures. At times, it feels like a dream that I was ever there and at others, I have such vivid memories of the smells, the tastes, the sounds, the feelings....
I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to serve in that unique way. I loved being Hermana Weed and spending all of my time doing missionary work. It was very hard thing at times, but now looking back, I think it was a wonderful way to live. Despite the rejection and the disappointment, there was a confidence and comfort that came knowing I was on the Lord's errand. And there was nothing better than being a part of another's search for truth and reconciliation with God.
A lot has happened in the last four years and it's interesting to look back on how things worked out....not always how I had planned but always for the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think you were probably just the coolest missionary.
It feels like a dream for me sometimes too. Yesterday Rex pulled out an old Christmas tree his family sent him to hang on the wall during his mission. We hung it up for fun although its a bit ghetto!
I am sure they have missed you there too... I bet you were such an awesome missionary... you have always been one with me. I am going on 8 years since I was baptized and I still have such love and admiration for my sister missionaries.
To all sister missionaries out there, young and old, serving and released: YOU ARE AWESOME! Thanks for you hard work and devotion!!
Laura...hey, sorry I haven't commented in so long! Yes..you responded to me on facebook and my blog. It's good to be in touch again. I had no idea you served a mission. Wow, I can just imagine how great of a missionary you were! It is kind of crazy how life turns out for us. I think the Lord definately knows what's best for us!
You were a missionary way before 4 years ago! I remember going to your house when we were little and learning from you and your family about the church. I remember your huge family tree too! I work with a guy from Guatemala and he said that there is something about the church there that he loves.
Neat reflections :). Don't ever let go of such sweet memories.
Post a Comment